Friday, November 04, 2005

Coming to terms with worship:

I am generally not a worship kind of guy. I don't generally praise people when they are doing what they are supposed to be doing, although I'm sure many managerial books would recommend otherwise. I am rather critical, but when I see improvement in another person, I become fiercely proud and protective of that person. I let them know that I am impressed by their growth. I do this to offset the severity of my criticisms. I say all this to illustrate that I am not the kind of guy that hands out compliments lightly. So where does worship fit into this? Is worship about telling G-d how great a guy He is?
I do not bless G-d because I feel the need to grovel before him, nor because it is the style of approach that used to be customary for kings. I think G-d is generally secure enough in His G-dhood to not need me to compliment Him. Rather, I think we praise G-d because we are calling to the characteristics that we wish to see in G-d. It is like a man who goes to see the king saying, "O King, surely you are wise. Please hear my request." The king replies, "Indeed, I am wise. Because you have acknowledged that, I shall apply my wisdom to your request." However, praise does not always proceed a request. In that case, it is enough that the Blessed Holy One gazes upon our lives with those aspects that we have recognized, transforming subtly our lives with Divine Presence. We do not praise G-d to receive a blessing, like a bribe. We praise G-d to recognize His attributes, and to call those attributes into action in our lives and the lives of others. We call to His Presence because we are His friends, and like friends, we wish to show Him every good thing we see.

No comments: