Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Chompin' at the bit...

Finished "To Life", but I've been very busy with my new job, so I haven't had time to review it. All in all, it's been mostly consistent with what I've discussed with others. Spirituality rooted in action, religion centered in life. Definitely the fertile soil I'm looking for to raise children in and nourish my own soul in.

New book: Anatomy of God by Roy A. Rosenberg. This is a translation of a couple of Zohar portions that are tough to find in a good translation. The Idraot (The Greater and Lesser Assemblies) are metaphorical works in the tradition of the Shiur Qomah which describes an obviously metaphoric "body of G-d" of varying dimensions. The Idraot, however, describe the emanatory structure of the world through reference to the Beard of G-d. I think it's a better metaphor because it's less anthropomorphic to describe a portion than it is to describe the whole body as in Shiur Qomah. I like the translation - it's clean and doesn't have a whole lot of additions as far as I can tell. Then again I'm not at all good with Aramaic, so what do I know? ;)

No comments: